COMPETITORS OF TCS
Founded in 1968, Tata Consultancy Services Ltd. operates as an information technology services, digital and business solutions company.
Regarded as one of the top 35 companies in the world by Forbes, TCS has a market capitalization of $98.4 Billion and operates through main 6 segments which are:
- Financial Services & Insurance
- Retail and Consumer Packaged Goods
- Telecom, Media and Entertainment
Let’s look at some of the broad parameters on which we can list down the competitors of TCS
The most common way of measuring a company’s value is through market capitalization. Market cap represents the value the market places on the entire company. The companies with the largest market caps are blue-chip companies, and by definition are among the most widely held stocks.
TCS tops the list with a market capitalization of 97,366, followed by 3 major IT giants in India Infosys, Wipro and HCL technologies with 61,940+, 44,700+, 22,073+ market capitalization respectively.
A global management consulting and professional services firm that offers an array of services (strategy, consulting, digital, technology and operations services) to its clients. With net revenue of $39.6 billion, Accenture has a client base in more than 200 cities in 120+ countries.
It’s this big scale of the company and its wide range of offerings that makes it one of the main competitors of TCS.
Let’s look at some of Accenture’s main business verticals:
- Accenture Strategy: Business strategy, technology strategy and operations strategy services all fall under this category.
- Accenture Consulting: Widely known for it technology, business and management consulting capabilities.
- Accenture Digital: Company also provides digital marketing, analytics and mobility services to its clients.
- Accenture technology emphases on technology solutions, delivery and R&D
- Accenture Operations focuses on an “as-a-service” model of service delivery. This includes BPO, IT services, cloud services, security and infrastructure services.
An Indian multinational technology company, headquartered in Noida, Uttar Pradesh, India. Originally a research and development division of HCL, the company has offices in 44 countries including the likes of the US, France, UK etc.
HCL being a home-grown competitor of TCS, operates in sectors like
- Aerospace and defence
- Capital markets
- Chemical and process industries
- Mining and natural resources
- Oil and gas
- Retail and telecom
- Life sciences
- Media and entertainment
- Logistics and hospitality etc.
Another major competitor of TCS which was given it a run for its money on different fronts is Infosys Limited (formerly Infosys Technologies Limited). The company is best known for providing best in class business consulting, information technology and outsourcing services.
Infosys is the second-largest Indian IT company by 2017 revenues and 596th largest public company in the world based on revenue.
Infosys offers services to companies operating in sectors like finance, insurance, manufacturing and other domains.
The fourth main competitor of TCS is International Business Machines Corporation (IBM).
IBM is an American multinational information technology company that produces and sells computer hardware, middleware and software.
Some of the main services that IBM provides includes
- Cloud computing
- Cognitive computing
- Data and Analytics
- Mobile and Security
For IBM, its cloud business is one of the few bright spots in a largely populated cloud business. IaaS, SaaS and PaaS are offered through public, private and hybrid cloud delivery models.
IBM Watson is another popular offering of IBM used by companies to get insights from large amounts of unstructured data.